Saturday, July 12, 2003

My cousin and I are going car shopping today -- for her, not for me. This could be highly amusing. I don't think you can find a flakier pair of women. Seriously. In her words, we're going to look at cars 'shallowly.' So, yeah, probably musing over colors, the look, and other such things. I'm amused just thinking about it. Dodging the salespeople ought to be fun as well. Not that there's any danger of buying anything. A car isn't something that you just randomly purchase because you have a couple of dollars in your purse and neither of us have any money, so we're safe on this count, at least for the moment. However, it is indeed true that I have bought things 'by accident' before.

Last summer in France, I bought a lovely wooden elephant 'by accident'. It's carved out of a gorgeous red wood and is from Africa. Or so, the salesman said. I was simply admiring the elephant and to make conversation, I asked, "Combien pour l'éléphant?" It went all downhill from there. He said 30 euros, I said that it was too much. How much would I pay for such an elephant, the man asked? I said 15 euros. And before I knew it, he'd wrapped the elephant up and handed it to me, and dimwit that I am, I was handing him money for an elephant I had absolutely no intention of buying in the first place; obviously, the salesman knew a sucker when he saw one. I walked around for days with this elephant. Now I'm glad I bought it because it is beautiful.

I'm heading to B/CS this afternoon for a graduation party and won't be back until midnight. Tomorrow is the tea party, which should be a lot of fun. Sarah is going all out, including even tea cozies. Monday is pretty much a wash. Don't expect to see me online -- between the two interviews and the trip to the Big City to the South East (expected return time: midnight), I'll probably not have time to update this blog until Tuesday afternoon at the earliest. Somehow, you'll have to make it without me. Be strong.

No comments: