Saturday, August 24, 2002

When it rains, it pours

Anyway, so much for griping about nothing to do. Yesterday was a whirlwind of activity. First off, I've sold three of my textbooks through amazon.com (yeah!) and so I had to ship those off yesterday. Then it was lunch at the burrito place with "Momma" Lisa and going through her negatives of the trip - so I should have new Spain, Cannes and Nice pictures up in a bit. Right after lunch, I met up with V & K to go to the picnic for the first years. It wasn't actually as scary as I thought it was going to be and I had a good time. I did attempt to play volleyball for a while, but then out of consideration for my classmates, I got off the field. I'm really bad at it! The second years seem cool and very friendly - they have great attitudes and of course, we gave them lots of tips on how to stay sane. My classmates were very much pushing the "we're here to help you" attitude at them, as we didn't get that from last year's class and we really could have used their mentorship.

This morning was Habitat for Humanity. I got house cleaning detail and washed windows and scrapped paint off. When that was finished, it was time to lay the sod. Which is always interesting, especially as one very anal-retentive angry man was in charge of the lawn and he was practically yelling at us. At one point, I just kept loading sod into the wheelbarrow so I could avoid having to deal with him. Eventually, we sod-layers got smart, figured out what we were supposed to do (apparently, the lawn seams have a pattern to them - who knew?) and Angry!Guy calmed down. It's amazing how quickly work like this gets done when you have a large group of volunteers. I think there might have been as many as 20 of us on the site at one point, and we were supposed to work from 8 to 11:30 this morning, but we finished everything - the landscaping and housecleaning - by 10:30, which completely and totally rocks.

Plot bunnies are waking up and wanting to go forth and multiply as bunnies do. How is that list coming, Sara? ::grin::

No comments: