Saturday, April 27, 2002

Overhead

This is entirely too precious *not* to blog...

So, it's Friday night and I have a hot date with my accounting books. I hear someone knocking on my neighbor's door. This surprises me. In the fourplex I live in, no one except Angry!Girlfriend ever comes to visit. The other three of us generally are quiet and don't usually have people over. So of course, it's a surprise when someone knocks on Edward's door at 9 pm.

I look through the peep hole and there's a guy talking on his phone. "Yeah, yeah, baby, I'm coming, I'm going to be there, don't worry, baby, I'll be there."

Anyway, Edward is standing there the whole time while this other guy is talking on his cell phone. Turns out this guy's wife is in the hospital, in labor in that Big City To the East. The guy says he lives in our complex. Could be true, but I've never seen him before, but hey, I live in the computer lab - what do I know? Anyway, so this guy has got a friend driving him to the Big City, not to mention he is willing to turn over his DVD player, VCR, etc - a whole bunch of stuff - if Edward will give him money for gas. (I did think he was going to ask if he could borrow Edward's car, but Edward is a bike rider, doesn't own a car, so maybe I missed that part of the exchange). Edward says no politely and suggests that this guy go to see Boyfriend upstairs.

Apparently, Boyfriend isn't up there, so guy comes back, says so, but Edward says no still. So poor guy goes away, talking on his cell to his wife, about how he is still trying to get gas money.

Anyway, Edward and I chat for a few minutes about the weirdness of the situation and I figure, this guy is gone. But no...

He comes and knocks on my door today. Yup. And I saw him coming as well through the sliding glass door. I'm sure he saw me too. And guess what? He had that same "I'm coming baby, don't worry, I'll be there" spiel going as he stood in front of my door. I didn't bother to open the door - he knocked twice - and I was really tempted to open the door and say, "Your wife is still in labor?"

But I didn't. He's bigger than me.

I saw him walking away, that cell phone glued to his ear.

His poor, poor wife. She's going to be in labor for a looong time.

No comments: