Friday, September 17, 2010

Beautiful nightmare

So it's been years since I worked in newspapers, but last night I dreamed I was working at a specialty trade paper -- electronics, a subject I know minimal about -- and that I was a one woman-show and it was my first day on the job. Deadline was approaching and an editor approached me and said I needed to come up with a cover story and layout. The dream then consisted of me running around frantically trying to figure out what story I could come up with 10 minutes and how I could use the layout to minimize word count. I don't know how the whole thing resolved. My dream did include me talking to my manager about some ideas, but whether any of them were accepted, I don't know.

I'd like to think I didn't miss the deadline as past performance implies I wouldn't have. But past performance also would indicate that I wouldn't have sat on my hands and been surprised by the task and deadline at hand. I should note that while working at newspapers was a blast and I learned a lot, it was long hours and a rather stressful environment come deadline. I'm grateful for the experience but certainly don't miss it.

No comments: