Friday, April 30, 2010

LotD

I had a little anxiety today when I read this blog about job hoppers making terrible employees. I 'fess, I'm a job hopper. I worked for Very Big Insurance Company for four years and since then, I have't held a job for more than 2 1/2 years. I move for different reasons, but if I look back over my experience, I have no regrets because I picked up a lot of new skills, experience, valuable connections, and other intangibles. I long for stability, for the job that is The One(tm), but it hasn't happened yet.

I do think my experiences bring more to the table today than it would have five years ago and that's directly attributable to my job hopping. Also the idea of "loyalty" when working is so 1960s/1970s; nearly every place I have worked except for Very Big Publishing Company have had layoffs while I was there. So don't talk to me about loyalty when I've got bills to pay. And the reason I can job hop is because I have good references and skills that people are willing to hire. When I find the right fit (hopefully soon!), I will stop. So I was very pleased to read a rebuttal to the initial blog posting here that was more in line with my perspective on the subject.

No comments: