Saturday, January 19, 2008

Weighty matters

Last night some friends and I were discussing just how hard it is to find exercise information for women who actually (gasp!) want to lift weights and develop muscle tone. Most of the advice articles I've read are all about lifting less weight for more reps because heaven forbid women have muscle tone. I've been lifting weights for about two years now, and the most I can say for my muscle tone is that I no longer jiggle. It's incredibly frustrating because we're only a couple months away from tank top season and I really want well-defined arms. The only thing I can think of now is to reduce body fat percentage so the muscles that I do have show through.

We also agreed that we love push-ups. It's a weird thing to acknowledge, especially since two years ago, I could barely do one on my knees. Now I can routinely do at least one set of 12 push-ups without going to my knees, and on rare occasions, I've managed three sets of 12 without knees. Seriously, there's nothing more empowering and psychologically uplifting than finishing a set of push-ups.

No comments: