Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Amen corner

I think I've mentioned before I don't really read liberal blogs, but I do read conservative blogs a lot. And it's not because I want to get my blood pressure high, but more because I like to be challenged. I already have opinions that are left of center and so I don't need to read someone's blog on why gay marriage is a good thing or why a woman's right to choose ought to be protected; I'm already there.

What I do appreciate is being challenged. I know why I have the opinions I have, and how they were formed. I like to think I'm being intelligent about my opinions/beliefs, that I have studied and read, and that I'm open to new information. This is what I like to think; it doesn't mean it's necessarily true. And that's why I read conservative blogs, because I know 9 times out of 10, it's going to be something I vehemently disagree with, but on the off chance that I get some new piece of information or something that makes me stop and consider an issue, I keep reading. This is why you're more likely to find me reading Michelle Malkin instead of Daily Kos (and incidentally, I draw the line at Ann Coulter; I have no time or use for crazy people -- no matter how funny people might think she is).

There's no point in reading something just because it will affirm what you already believe. Reading "the sky is green" over and over again doesn't make it so; it's taking the chance to read "the sky is blue" and then considering that statement carefully that's worthwhile. If you want to believe the sky is still green after that, by all means, but at least you gave it a shot.

---

Incidentally, I really hate the word 'you' when writing posts like this. It sounds accusatory, like I'm aiming this post at someone in particular, and I'm really not. I mean, it was sparked by a blog I read, but I don't think that person reads this blog (and if the owners of that blog did read this one, they'd probably run away in fear at the degenerative values espoused by this here piece of web real estate). My point is, it sounds lecture-y and condescending, which is not my intention at all. There just doesn't seem to be a way to espouse philosophy without the accusatory 'you'. Or at least, nothing my brain can come up with at 10:20, which is well past my bedtime.

No comments: