Monday, November 07, 2005

Festival of Lights

Last week was Diwali. Here are a few pictures I took this weekend.



One of the hallmarks of the holiday are little oil lamps which are set throughout the house. Here's a close-up of one of the lamps.



I love looking at the little lamps burning all in a row.



A close-up of one of the lamps.



Not to mention eating lots of good food! The more colorful items on the plate are sweet and sticky and utterly indulgent. I, however, prefer the spicier items.



Every year, I draw little pictures on the tile with sand for Diwali. Here is just one tile I did. I did other tiles in yellow, blue, purple, or a mixture of all of those colors. It's pretty painstaking work, and I do have a small little brush and pan so I can scoop up any designs I mess up or any excess sand.

No comments: