Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Philosophy. Maybe

So there is an article or two about why people blog. It's all fascinating stuff, but it's all about the journalism, baby, it's not about the people. In B-School, they taught us to come up with a mission statement, something that defines who you are. For instance, part of the mission statement for Very Big Insurance Company included the word's "to be the first and best choice for the customer."

I surely don't intend to be your first and best choice because God knows, there are 80 million screaming blogs out there on the Internet and I'm amazed that you found me and that you stick around to read. So I thought, intead of having a journalist tell you why I blog, I'm going to put some of that B-School knowledge to work and tell you myself.

I blog because about two and a half years ago, my brother sent me an email that said, "Blogger. You should do this." And when it comes to tech stuff, I usually listen to him. So I got the blog and then it was like, "Oooh, scary, what do I say?" Just for the record, this whole blogging thing is pretty darn scary becuase you start out with the theory that no one is reading and it's all fun and games until when you look at site stats and realize "Ohmygodpeoplearereadingme!"

But I digress (I do that a lot).

It took a while to figure out why I blog and what I blog has a lot to do with the why. Over the 2 1/2 years I've had this blog, I've meandered through my day, reviewed books, gone off on televisions shows, occasionally lambasted politicians (This blog is a W-free zone!) and whinged about Stuff (tm). But that's an inherent lack of focus. So starting from today, I'm going to run this blog like a corporation, with a mission statement and everything. The action plan comes later, but the mission statement is first and foremost the most important (after the logo, of course; nothing succeeds without a cool logo. And oh yes, a catchy slogan rocks too. But. I digress).

In a nutshell, I like to laugh. I like to see the ridiculous and I prefer the ridiculous over the serious. If an egg explodes in my face, yeah it sucks, but when I take a step back, I realize it's damn funny. There is humor in everything and I use my blog to try and take myself -- and life -- less seriously. If there is something I cannot poke fun at, chances are I'm not going to blog it here. I don't want to whine and I don't want to complain. That's not what the blog is for -- navel gazing, yes, but a pity party, no.

So that's what this blog is really here for. I like the funny and I want to bring the funny. I'll try to keep the politics and intelligent stuff to a minimum. That's right, this is the shallow!blog. For the most part, you're going to get exploding eggs and chair building stories; if explosions and random burnings aren't your thing, you can find the dull here. Politics are here.

No comments: