Friday, January 19, 2001

I love angst. I'm unhealthily addicted to angst. Angst in fiction though - let's make that clear. Angst in Real Life (tm) isn't as much fun. Now, "Wuthering Heights" takes the cake for angst. Emily knows her angst. Think about when Heathcliff finds out that Cathy loves him but will marry Linton anyway because it would be unacceptable for someone of her status to marry someone like Heathcliff. Now that's serious turmoil. How can you not be moved by lines like: "Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!" or "Nelly, I am Heathcliff—he's always, always in my mind."

And then there is "Iolokus," an X-Files fanfic that tortures Mulder & Scully to unimaginable heights. Angst here is unbelievable. You've got interesting characterization - most would agree that these people are not the Mulder & Scully we love - but you let it go because the authors, MustangSally and RivkaT, take you down the most amazing path of character growth and development. You laugh, you cry, and at times, you curse the authors for making Moose and Squirrel suffer so much, but in the end, it's all worth it. Trust me on this one. Angst. Lots of it. The only way to go.


So without further ado, this week's reading recommentations are:


No comments: