Saturday, January 07, 2006

Impromptu

I always wonder how other people blog. Do they sit down at the computer, type out a thoughtful entry, edit it, and then post? Or are they helter-skelter like me and just post whatever whenever? Honestly, most times when I sit down to blog, I have no idea what's going to come out. Sometimes I have an idea in mind, but most of the times I don't. I don't have access to the blog at work (and really, I would NEVER blog at work), so between an 9-hour day and then coming home and getting myself out of the work-frame of mind, by the time I sit down, all coherence is lost (heck, I'm losing coherence *now*). The most preparation I usually do before blogging is collecting links (I admit to 'canning' entries in the past, but I don't seem to have time to do that anymore).

I like to think this blog is purely me, shooting from the hip, with very little filtered between what's going on in my head and my fingers. I don't have rough drafts; I might correct obvious typos, but most of the time I just let it be. Of course, that method means I have regrets later on, like when I wrote about this incident. I neglected to mention when I walked out onto my balcony, someone across the courtyard was already out on hers. It was dark, I couldn't see her, but I suspected she was someone I'd had a cross-courtyard conversation with during the hurricane. She saw me come and yelled, "Do you see THAT? Do you see that? WOW!" And then just like me, she leaned over the railing, trying to see around the building blocking off most of the night sky. And around the courtyard, people were coming out and standing on their balconies, watching the fireworks. It felt like a community for those few minutes and when the fireworks were over, we all went back into our apartments.

No comments: