Sunday, May 23, 2004

The sound of music

I took a break from being a Very Bad Lemonade Tycoon to go and work out for about an hour or so this afternoon. First thing, I have to say it's super-hot out and it doesn't help that our gym looks out on the pool. I'm just saying. Second thing, when I flipped on the television, I ended up on VH-1's 50 Most Awesomely Bad Songs Countdown. The show has that same tongue-in-cheek "I'm too clever for you" vibe that the "I Love the 80s" series had, but still it was faintly amusing. Some of the song commentary made me laugh, but other times, I was shocked that my taste in music tends towards the Awesomely Bad.

I do 'fess to liking very much "I'D Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)", "You're The Inspiration", "What's Up" and "Breakfast at Tiffany's." I'm just amazed though that they selected Lionel Ritchie's "Dancing on the Ceiling" as a bad song; "Hello" has to be much, much, much worse than that and the video was much, much creepier. And please, "We Built This City on Rock and Roll" is a worse song than "Achy Breaky Heart" and "Ice Ice Baby"? With "Ice Ice Baby" and "Hangin' Tough" (the original boy band, yo!), I was so back in middle school again. (I'm also surprised Kylie Minogue's "I Can't Get You Out Of My Mind" didn't make this countdown, not to mention Leanne Rimes' "Life Goes On", which includes the lyric: "You're still thinking you're the daddy mack." I rest my case).

And now, I'm contemplating the heat and whether I want to go out and get some food for the rest of the week. And you can be sure that I'll be playing some Awesomely Bad music as I bop around town; the only thing I'm missing is the big hair and the convertible.

No comments: