Monday, May 31, 2004

Rest, relaxation and retail

Given that this the 1,200th post to this blog, it seems anticlimatic to talk about what I didn't do on Memorial Day and trust you me, the list of things I should have done was quite long -- somehow, I just melted from the heat and just never got going on some of those things.

Instead, I watched an episode and a half of the X-Files, took a nap, went out at the hottest time of the day for a walk, and then I watched some really bad reality television. And oh yes, I cooked for tonight and tomorrow night's dinners, and I may have done some dishes in between -- not quite sure. It's amazing how when you live alone, you find yourself lapsing into "Oh, I'll do that later," because honestly, unless company is coming over, there is no incentive to clean anything immediately. Unless, of course, you've created new life forms -- which I have done in the past -- and then out comes the Lysol etc.

I did go shopping today and I bought three new skirts. It's summer here and the skirts are a necessity. I don't really wear shorts except to the gym, so I needed something more casual than what I wear to work. All three of the skirts are knee-length and two are black and one is an olive green. One of the black skirts has a funky cut-out design on it over a white underskirt and the other one has a nice lacey fringe at the bottom of it. Both are linen. The third skirt is just your run of the mill khaki skirt. I was wearing a khaki skirt today and noticed that no matter where I went, that was the skirt de jour. I think it's one of those things when you've got a heightened sense of something, you see it everywhere.

I also drove down to the big university, my brother's alma mater, as a matter of fact, to check out where my placement test will be. There's something really awful about university maps. I swear, they forget to label half of the streets and it's not to scale, and there are no signs saying, "This is the Continuing Studies building." So I kept driving around in circles and finally found it about 10 minutes later. Now the scheduling of said-test is a little dicey, but we'll see if I can work something out with the boss tomorrow.

This completely rambling nonsensical blog has been brought to you by the letter S. I can't promise more intelligent commentary tomorrow -- go see jemima for that -- but I plead debilitating heat as my excuse. Uh-huh.

No comments: