Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Home Sweet Home

I'm back from Denver and I'm seriously dead tired because dude, I walked like miles in two major international airports lugging around the World's Heaviest Laptop, as well as my backpack. And being the sado-masochist I am, I skipped all of those moving sidewalk thingies. Now I realize that those moving sidewalk things are the airport's way of tell passengers tactfully: Your Gate Is Very Far Away, You Idiot (tm).

Plus, y'know, it's the whole thing of sleeping in a strange bed. I was staying in a very nice hotel in Denver and at $139/night, it was very luxurious and comfortable. Even so, last night I tossed and turned and ended up watching an episode of "LA Law" at 3 in the morning. This was odd because Monday night I slept extremely well and was surprised that Tuesday night didn't go so well. And then, you know how this story ends -- I fell asleep, deeply, as a matter of fact -- and then there's the cheery wake-up call, complete with weather forecast.

Anyway, the whole conference went really well. I learned a lot, schmoozed a little bit -- or as much as I can possibly schmooze. One guy did ask me why I looked so miserable, and I managed to back out of it by saying I was contemplating. He didn't believe me, but he was friendly enough, turned out he does business with my company, so there was an easy schmooze there and business cards were exchanged. I wonder what's going to happen with all the cards I handed out; I'm wondering what I'll do with the ones I collected. When working for Very Big Insurance Company, all of my business cards went into "Win a Free Lunch!" baskets (I never did, but it wasn't for lack of trying!), so the fact that I was actually trying to use my cards for the purpose they were made for is actually rather... different.

Other things I should mention: The Denver Airport has bunny rabbits and also, there was a man, a chainsaw and a block of ice. You can draw your own conclusions. Me, I'm like a tired child who is very cranky and knows she should go to bed but is resisting every step of the way.

No comments: