Sunday, October 03, 2004

My computer got SP2 and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

A good part of Sunday was devoted to Updating The Machine (tm). After about a week or so of downloads, SP2 made its apperance on my toolbar this morning, along with a nice little note from Microsoft saying, "Back up your files." Cue panic mode. Any program which requires a file back-up cannot be a good thing; in fact, given my past experiences with Microsoft, it's a Very Very Bad Thing (tm). So, I dutifully burned a copy of the contents of my hard drive to CD and then came the moment of truth: I clicked 'Install update.'

As far as I can tell, the 'back up files' was just a precautionary measure. Everything went smoothly, though the install itself took about 30 minutes and I couldn't really use the computer for anything else. There was one reboot, and when it came back, Microsoft was hammering home the 'automatic updates' (which I highly recommend if you don't already have it turned on) and also gave you the option of turning on the firewall; I'm now super double-protected from all the big bad things out there. Now if I could just get my antivirus to update, I'd feel a lot less like I'm surfing the internet superhighway* without a big red target on my back.

Link of the day: Get a real browser here.

* Doesn't that phrase just sound like nails on a chalkboard? ::shudder::

No comments: