Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Real Life

Those of you who know me, know that I suffer from an incurable addiction to reality television. There are very few reality shows I don't like; well, that "Gay or Not" show was just stupid and the second "Joe Millionaire" was a trainwreck at best. Oh, and I wasn't thrilled by "Hot or Not" or "I'm a Celebrity! Get Me Out of Here!" and I think "Big Brother" is akin to watching paint dry.

That being said, on the reality shows I do like -- "Survivor," "The Apprentice," "Fear Factor" -- I like the real life drama that comes out of being put into an unnatural situation and I'm fascinated by the way people act even when they know that their every move is being watched and taped. I mean, Omarosa on "The Apprentice" and Trish on "The Bachelor", for instance -- have they absolutely no shame? Did they lose all sense of reason and dignity the minute they were cast? For heaven's sakes...

But. My rant is about neither of those shows, but rather about "American Idol." For God's sake, what are the voters on? Seeing as how that episode hasn't aired on the West Coast yet, I'll try to keep my righteous indignation to a low roar, but for God's sake, this is a talent competition, people! A talent competition! But then again, since we're not especially capable of managing to elect a president without help from the Supreme Court, why should it be any different on "American Idol"? If this keeps up, I may have to start watching "Enterprise" instead. "Enterprise"! What does that tell you about my current level of digust?

Calm, calm, calm.

Bjorn pointed me to this link about Princess Diana and being a few hours ahead of him, I was already aware of the special "48 Hours Investigates" and while I'm a fan of English royalty, I chose to skip this programme tonight for a pure and simple reason: the woman is dead, let her rest in peace.

Also, I've signed up for a gmail account. It's not like I really need another account, but my seemag1@yahoo.com account has been overrun by spam and it might be nice to start moving my internet activities to another account. We'll see. It's mostly that I saw that it was shiny and I hit "Sign me up!" I'm so easy sometimes.

No comments: