Monday, May 23, 2005

Time for tofu!

I'm really starting to love tofu like no one's business. I think tofu has, unfairly, a bad reputation because it's so easy to mess it up. Trust me -- I have exploded/bounced/burned/smashed tofu all over. If there is a way to kill tofu, I have done it. However, after many experimentations, I have finally, finally gotten it right. Here's a quick and easy way to cook tofu:

First, buy a package of extra firm tofu. You will need to drain the tofu very well. If you don't drain it, it won't soak up the marinade, and it will snap/crackle/pop in the skillet.

I dump the water out of the tofu first, and then I usually wrap the block in a clean paper towel, put it in a bowl, and then find the heaviest can/jar in my pantry -- usually an unopened jar of tomato sauce -- and put it on top of the tofu. Drain again. Flip block of tofu over, and put the jar of tomato sauce on top of it again.

When the tofu is dry enough, you can either cube it or cut it into slices. I prefer to cube it because it's quicker to cook in the skillet and doesn't require as much flipping, but that's just a preference thing.

Seema's Marinade

6-10 teaspoons soy sauce
1-2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

I also alternately add -- depending on what I have on hand -- ginger or garlic. For herbs, I add a pinch of parsley, bayleaves and oregano.

Mix the marinade very well. It helps to split it in two -- add a little to the bottom of a bowl, dump in the tofu, and then drizzle the rest of the marinade on top of it. I usually put it in a glass bowl with a cover; that way, I can shake up the tofu and make sure it gets well coated with the marinade. Cover it up and put it in the refrigerator to sit for at least an hour.

Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a skillet, throw in the marinated tofu, and if you want, you can add more soy sauce. Sautee until hot and/or browned. Serve immediately.

Everything's pretty approximate, but it's a super easy way to make tofu and quick dinner idea. I think today's dinner -- tofu and mixed vegetables with butter -- took all of 5 minutes to throw together (I marinated the tofu last night) but it tastes pretty darn good.

No comments: