Monday, May 02, 2005

Finicky muse

The thing is, when you get a great story idea, or a snippet of dialogue in your head, you've got to write it down right then or it's gone. This whole thing about being an adult -- taking out the trash, doing the dishes, cleaning the bathroom, cleaning up the stove after dinner has exploded all over the range -- kind of cramps the whole writing style.

I don't think, however, that sitting home and staring at my computer is the right way to go. I've found that when I have time on my hands, I write hardly anything at all. It's when I'm super busy and really should be doing things like wiping down the fridge or mopping floors that I think, "Wow, that's a great story idea," but I never actually sit down and write my story idea down until I'm done being an adult. By then the magic is gone and the characters are cranky because I made them wait.

But at least the kitchen is clean...

No comments: