Saturday, May 21, 2005

Napoleon's Battle Plan

My favorite piece of dialogue in "Sports Night" comes from the ep, "Napoleon's Battle Plan"*:

Casey: Technically, I have a plan.
Dan: What's the plan?
Casey: It's Napoleon's plan.
Dan: Who's Napoleon?
Casey: A 19th century French emperor.
Dan: You're cracking wise with me now?
Casey: Yes.
Dan: Thanks.
Casey: He had a two-part plan.
Dan: What was it?
Casey: First we show up, then we see what happens.
Dan: That was his plan?
Casey: Yeah.
Dan: Against the Russian army?
Casey: Yeah.
Dan: First we show up, then we see what happens.
Casey: Yeah.
Dan: Almost hard to believe he lost.


My approach to life is pretty much that -- I show up and see what happens, and usually stuff goes my way. Lately, the plan hasn't been working so well, so it's time to switch strategies. That's the hard part and I've been doing things way out of my comfort zone, which can be stressful too. Someone told me that it takes 21 straight days of doing something for it to become a habit. I know instinctively what I need to do, it's just hard to break free of years and years of ingrained habit -- 21 days seems like an awfully long time to create a habit, especially when you're a person who loves insta-results like me. Still, it's one foot ahead of the other, making it one step closer to the person I want to be and the life I want to be living.

Dan: You have no plan.
Casey: I have a plan.
Dan: First you show up. Then you see what happens.
Casey: It worked for Napoleon.
Dan: No, it didn't work for Napoleon. Napoleon was defeated at Waterloo and died in exile on the isle of Elba.
Casey: Actually, he was murdered on Elba. It's just one of many things I know that most people don't.


* Entire transcript here. I love the Internet.

No comments: