Sunday, April 03, 2005

Take me out to the ballgame

So last night I went to see an exhibition game between the Home Team and a Midwestern team. When I told Florida Girl my plans, she laughed hysterically and said, "You're gonna be stuck in the game for five hours and you're never, ever gonna get to leave." I can't wait to call her and tell her how wrong she is. Her reaction reminded me of the time I broke my finger while in grad school. I called my parents up to break the news and my dad's reaction was, "You broke your finger playing basketball? But you don't play basketball." Well, whatever basketball playing I was doing got cut short by the broken finger; now I just mourn my broken dreams of becoming the first sub-6 footer in the WNBA.

That being said, yesterday's game was so cool, mostly for the mere fact I was watching from a suite. The previous year, I'd gone to see the Cubs with Old Ossbay, and while I got a great look at Sammy Sosa's back, I couldn't tell what else was going on. In this game, we were right behind home plate and I could see the entire diamond and all the action. Plus, the waiter in the suite was super nice and answered all of my stupid questions without dumping my Diet Coke refills in my lap. And the cookies! The giant cookies filled with chocolate chips and as big as my head! I'd watch the Home Team lose all over again as long as those cookies are around.

No comments: