Wednesday, September 19, 2001

I saw a plane landing today. It's the first plane I've seen in a long time. I just stood and stared as if I'd never seen a plane before. Weird. I was thinking about whether I'd ever get on a plane again, whether I was afraid. I'm not afraid and I will get on a plane again. It's more scary driving through parking lots - not that one thing is the same as the other. Years ago, my father lost a friend when an Air India plane was blown up by terrorists over the Atlantic Ocean. Shortly after that, I remember flying to India, and having to wait for hours at JFK while our bags were completely opened and searched by security. Inconvenient, yes, but we knew when we got on that plane, it was completely safe. Every time I get on a plane, I always do consider the possibility of something happening, but then, so many things can happen in the course of every day life. And so, yes, I'll fly again. Like I've said before, giving into fear is giving into terrorists.

What I am scared of now is loud noises. I was walking through the parking lot today and I heard this loud bang. I nearly jumped out of my skin. It turned out to be a jackhammer, but I was terrified and immediately thought the worse. I also noticed this morning on TV, the station was broadcasting warnings about several construction projects in the area and the the possibility of sirens going off near the high school. At first, I was like, "What?" and then as I walked through the parking lot today, I figured it out.

Like the sight of airplanes in the sky, loud noises remind us all how our very sense of security has been destroyed. God bless us all.

No comments: