Wednesday, February 28, 2001

My day. Hour by stintillating hour.


  • 6:12 am Alarm goes off. Hit snooze.
  • 6:40 am Give into the inevitable. Drag myself out of bed, curse the happy laughing people on the radio who don't bother to give weather updates but cheerfully detail various traffic mishaps. Get irritated with happy woman who knows answer to impossible trivia question. It is not normal to be smart and coherent at 6:42 am.
  • 6:56 am Stare at closet. Find something that is remotely unwrinkled. Find socks that match. Make bed.
  • 7:08 am On the road, tuned into the '80s station which tunes in and out. Consider making taking up a drive to get these guys a better antenna. Listen to traffic update again and wonder about what the weather is going to be like.
  • 7:36 am Park next to lady in blue Saturn. Always park next to the lady in the blue Saturn. I don't know her name, but we've been doing this parking thing for about two years now.
  • 7:42 am Sneak past the boss's office. Arrive in my cube. Videotapes of speakers all touting their speaking prowess have taken over my life. They clutter every available surface. I turn on my computer, check out my Dilbert a Day calendar and the Star Trek a day calendar. Sixty-four cents later, I'm in the cafeteria with other cranky people.
  • 7:58 am Cashier makes me make a decision: Will that be exact change, Miss?
  • 8:03 am Open up Outlook. Open planner. I look organized. Yeah, except for the videotapes which are reproducing themselves. It's a bit scary. System Administrator sends me love letters. I'm over my email storage quota. I ignore the administrator and delete a few token emails.
  • 9:22 am Breakfast. Barbecue bugles. Really. I share your horror.
  • 11:30 am Lunch. Yeah, there was work in there sometime, but you must know - my life revolves around food. So there you have it. This time it's a muffin, carrot sticks and peanut butter crackers and a diet Coke.
  • 12:19 pm Discover laptop battery is dead. The orange light blinks at me. It's slightly threatening.
  • 1:23 pm Call techies to fix battery. They ask for serial number and I end up unplugging the darn thing and losing my work. I love my job.
  • 2:19 pm Cross off two things on my list of things to do. The list has 90 items on it. This is progress.
  • 3:32 pm Eat. Again. Yes. This time an apple.
  • 3:45 pm Talk to flaky person on the phone who insists she talked to an African-American male. She can tell by his voice, you see. I wonder if she's trolling our department or just being stupid. At least she doesn't work for us.
  • 4:15 pm Vacation gets closer by the minute. I love airplanes.
  • 4:29 pm Hit cnn.com for the first time during the day. That site was more fun during Florida.
  • 4:35 pm Outta there. Baby, it's cold out there. Very cold.
  • 4:55 pm Hello to the gym. The guy at the desk tells me of a policy change apologetically. I tell him it's minorly annoying but I'll get over it. I hate change.
  • 5:03 pm Nice lady has saved me spot in class. I was afraid I'd have to arm wrestle for a spot. It's nice to have friends looking out for you.
  • 6:00 pm Done with the gym. Time to go home.
  • 6:15 pm At Great Hills and 360 intersection.
  • 6:33 pm At Great Hills and 360 intersection. On a positive note, the '80s station is playing great music.
  • 7:00 pm Home. The mail is junk, but Pottery Barn has sent a catalog. I need to be dictator of a small country before I can order from the Pottery Barn.
  • 7:15 pm Dinner. Yeah. It's food time again. Gotta make something. Make mental note to go grocery shopping.
  • 8:16 pm Done with the dinner thing. Time for other chores: laundry, packing for the vacation, cleaning out the closet, wrapping gifts, paying bills.
  • 9:00 pm Log on to computer to check email. Check two email accounts, see 60 mesages combined and decide to forget it. Not worth it. Get on AOL IM, see entire buddy list online. Way too intense. Log off AOL IM.
  • 9:45 pm More chore like thingies. The fun never stops.
  • 10:35: Blog my day. Yeah, I know. Wasn't that interesting.

No comments: