Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Miscellany

I took a few days off from the interwebs. No, I wasn't doing anything particularly interesting or time consuming; I just didn't log on. Which is very weird, because as most of you know, I don't have access to email or blogger etc., at work, so if I don't log on at home, I simply don't see the emails. There was a time when I was totally obssessive about checking email. And now I realize, I went from Sunday to Wednesday, with a COMPUTER RIGHT THERE, and I never turned it on.

Don't ask me what I was doing instead of blogging at you guys though. I haven't a clue.

In other news, TWO separate people in the space of ONE hour used the term "fussball" on me. Context told me they were talking about soccer so I'm guessing "fussball" means soccer in German. Because yeah, there's this thing called the World Cup going on.

The last time the World Cup was on (I say it like it's a television show and not this major international event played in stadiums around the world or somewhere -- I don't really know how this World Cup thing works), I was in France (check archive entries from May of 2002 to July of 2002, for those of you who missed my trip and are curious. Or not) and World Cup fever was sweeping the nation. We got into a little bit and we'd often check in with the locals to find out how the US was doing. The US actually did well back in 2002. This year, they fell to Ghana. No, I don't remember who they lost to in 2002.

I haven't been paying attention to soccer because I've been watching and DESPAIRING as the home team does its absolute darndest to NEVER win a single game. I mean, seriously. I've never seen a team so skillfully and elegantly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory EVERY SINGLE FREAKING TIME. Saturday, I was watching, and I was ready to go do something productive like mop the floors (ha!) because the home team was doing so well -- leading 5 to 1 -- and I thought, they're gonna win. Ha! That's when the bullpen came to the rescue, because heaven forbid if the other team can't hit the ball until seven innings in. And if that wasn't bad enough, they fell badly to another team, after being ahead, and then losing something like 100 to 2. And then there was that home game I attended where the not!home team scored 8 runs in the first inning and a half. Needless to say, the pitcher -- poor kid, but REALLY! -- was relieved halfway through the second inning. I hate to say it, but the home team is breaking my heart.

My brother suggests switching to soccer. At least then, the heartbreak comes around every four years, and not five days a week for six months of the year.

No comments: