Friday, March 11, 2005

Things that make you go hmmm

Tim Bray talks about why blogging is good. I disagree with most of his statements, especially with numbers 1, 2, 3 and 10. But it may be just a perspective thing; if you are a subject matter expert in your field and that's what you're blogging about, then yes, pointing to your blog is probably a good thing. I can hardly imagine, in regards to number 3, how I'd bring that up to my boss.

"Hey, google me! My site is number one*=!"

"Cool, what keywords?"

"Uh... Seema unbound*?"

You see how badly this conversation could turn out, don't you?

And number 10 is really a crapshoot; most bloggers don't have an audience of size enough to actually matter to one's career. The fired bloggers get their audience after they get fired. I'm glad someone can see how blogging would be good for one's career, but me, I prefer to keep my head down.

*For less Net Nanny offensive search terms -- such as 'Trek fanfic', 'X-Files fanfic', 'JAG fanfic'e etc -- the site comes up in spots 2 to 4 on google; still, not quite promotion-worthy key words.

No comments: