Wednesday, March 16, 2005

BOBF

As per my post from yesterday re Bloghercon -- I don't disagree the need for visibility is one reason that some women blog and their needs, as a whole, are probably different than your average paranoid blogger (like yours truly) who feels the less publicity the better. If women can benefit by getting together and exchange contacts and technology and tips, I'm all for it. I'm just not convinced there's an actual problem that's on the same level of say, other problems facing women in this world like the right to manage their own reproductive health or getting equal pay for equal work.

In the end, my jaded view probably stems from all the hype about blogging, about it being the next great thing in information, and as a promotional marketing tool. How much power do bloggers really have? Not that much, I think, but with the media attention, it's easy to attribute way more power to pixelated words and enter the Brave New World with ideas on how to re-invent the wheel.

But don't mind me. I'm just a former journalist and blogger since 2001 with a hint of BOFQ underlying all of that. What do you call the blogger equivalent of BOFQ anyway? BOBQ?

No comments: