Thursday, January 22, 2004

I'm linking to two arguments on the pro-life side, both made by RJ. I think both are well-worth reading -- Part I and Part II. Well-reasoned and logical points and honestly, I cannot disagree with either argument (the comments -- both sides reflected -- are also intelligent and worth reviewing).

But even though I agree on a personal level with what RJ has to say, my fundamental belief in the right to choose remains unchanged. I understand that a dichotomy exists when one says one is personally pro-life and fundamentally opposed to abortion, but prefers that it remains a legal choice for women. I understand that it's an inconsistent, middle-of-the-road stance at best. I can only echo what Elizabeth I said when asked about what religion she would support -- restoration of the Roman Catholic faith or the fledgling Anglican church. She dismissed the question entirely, saying "I have no desire to make windows into men's souls." (In the end, the Anglican church prevailed, but at least Elizabeth did away with the 'witch hunts' that so characterized the reigns of her brother and sister, Protestant and Catholic respectively).

I think we can all provide justifications -- reasons -- for our behaviors and actions, why it is we do what we do and why we believe in certain things. I'm not sure I can provide a good enough reason that explains a contradictory stance within the pro-choice movement that will be acceptable to the pro-life movement. In the end, I agree with RJ that we have to be answerable to God for what we do and the decisions, we, as individuals make, must reflect that.

I have no desire to make decisions for other people. I can only hope that they make the decision with full support and full knowledge of what they are doing. And while I hope desperately the first and best choice is one to carry a pregnancy to term, I also feel most women are psychologically and physically altered by the very act of abortion. If at the end of the day, this is something they can live with and can answer to family, society and God for, how can I stand in their way? My conscience cannot be the conscience of another person. And so, when I make my vote, it has to be to allow individuals the freedom to make a choice for themselves, that they themselves can determine what they will be answerable to.

No comments: