Friday, September 12, 2003

A day without blogging is curiously berefit. I would think of things during the day and say, "I should blog that," but because 9/11 is a blogging 'miss' for me, none of those things will appear here.

Last year, the blog had a 72-hour 'silence' around 9/11. This year, it was just 36-hours. I chose to not update the blog on 9/11 because what is there to say? Being funny or pointing out links or ranting/whining on 9/11 just doesn't work. It's hollow and simply doesn't feel right. I don't want to talk about 9/11 either. I said all I've had to say on it on the days immediately following this horrific tragedy and those journal entries are immortalized in the September 2001 archive or on my 9/11 site. So, for that reason, I said nothing at all.

I have no idea how long blog 'silence' will apply to 9/11. There are tons and tons of horrible events throughout history and I don't mark those. Already, the memorial services on 9/11 were so much more low-key and compartmentalized than they were last year. Over time, memory fades and the ragged edges of pain heal over. There'll be a time when 9/11 is just as distant to some as Pearl Harbor has grown to be.

But for now, the 9/11 blackout will continue annually.

No comments: