Sunday, August 13, 2006

LotD

Jill Carroll speaks. This story has always felt very personal because I actually knew Jill -- she was a reporter at the Massachusetts Daily Collegian, which is where I also got my start in journalism. IIRC, we only shared the newsroom for a year (my senior year; I was the Arts & Living editor and a night editor. Jill was on the news desk), but during that year she covered some of the big stories on campus, including a major SGA scandal. She also worked with a couple of my closest friends on the newspaper staff and when one of those friends showed up on the "Today Show" to talk about Jill, the situation became real for the first time and I thought, "Oh this can't be happening." But it did, and now in her own words, it's possible to know how she survived.

No comments: